Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Baby Shower Idea: A Sanctuary of Celebration

I just finished looking through the June/July FitPregnancy (the one with the gorgeous Jessica Alba on the cover--she's also a Bebe au Lait user!) and was really struck by a great idea on the last page (144)
"In: Birth Blessings. Out: Baby Showers"
Regardless of mom's religious beliefs, it offered the idea that the shower is really for mom, not just baby. They encouraged giving mom "offerings" of personal notes of advice, encouragement and quotes and explained that mom offers her guests a bracelet meant to be worn until the baby arrives. The mom they featured said, "A birth blessing really makes you stop and think about the fact that you are going to become a mother."

This gave me many ideas for a shower I'm planning. I'm going to meld a beautiful, traditional baby shower with this advice and create a sanctuary of celebration, so to say. Since my friend is a serious yoga-girl, I'm going to have the guests dress comfortably and bring in a yoga instructor to take us through a relaxation exercise instead of playing any shower games. I plan to decorate with oranges and cool blues (baby is TBD) and place white orchids throughout the setting. I'm going to provide healthy, organic snacks and cupcakes (ok, those aren't going to be healthy, found a great recipe from Sprinkles in LA) and have each guest read their blessing to the mom-to-be and then enclose them in a large envelope for her as a keepsake. I think we will all enjoy the chance to relax, reflect and celebrate in a modern, peaceful way.

1 comment:

Christie O. said...

wonderful idea! i am throwing a baby shower for my sister on saturday. one thing we're doing, because this was so wonderful at mine, is having a "mother blessing". each person gives the mother to be a bead from either a necklace that was broken or bracelet or a store-bought one, and include their story about it. then, my mom takes all the beads and makes a necklace or bracelet that the mommy can hold on to during labor. that way, everyone is with the mommy and she can focus on something other than the labor! my bracelet means more to me than any possession i have!